Monday, October 13, 2014

Gimme a G!

I am still busy working away on my three sets of alphabet blocks with Temecula Quilt Company.  I was hoping to finish up through the letter "I" this week but I got a bit sidetracked by a new project.  

Hard to believe, huh!?!



I have been giving some thought to how I want to finish each of the sets and I started setting the blocks for the black and gray set.  I have a drawer full of odds and end solid pieces so I thought I would incorporate them somehow.




First, I surrounded a block with a 3.5" strips of a single fabric.  



 
I decided I wanted to make these blocks "wonky" so I got out my 8.5" square ruler (the cut size I want for the block) and taped a 4" piece of paper (the finished size of the letter) to the center at the angle I wanted each letter.  I can then just line up the paper to the inner letter and trim - I will have a uniform slant to each letter.  I just have to flip the ruler to get the block to angle in the other direction.  
Great little trick huh!?!



I have one block finished and hope to work on some more this week. Not sure yet how I am going to finish out the other sets yet but I will certainly share once inspiration strikes!




But that wasn't what really distracted me this week.  I finally found some inspiration for the airplane quilt I have wanted to finish up for months.  I found this great paper pieced block and made a stack of planes in red and blue.  I love it when a stalled project finally gets kicked into gear and you have a plan! I hope to have a finished quilt to share with you next week!


If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar! 
And don't forget to prepare your scrap posts for Scraptastic Tuesday at she can quilt.  The second Tuesday of the month is coming up!
Want to Play Along?Linking up:

11 comments:

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

I like the wonkiness you are adding to the letter blocks, and those airplanes are super cute!

Jasmine said...

That is a great tip for getting the same angle. Thanks for sharing.

Kaja said...

Those airplanes are great - I like that the fabrics you have used have a sense of movement about them; very effective.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Cute planes!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Love your wonky trick!! I'm going to use it! You letters are adorable and planes very cool!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

That's a great and perfect print for the background of the planes! nice find!

Barb N said...

A plan for the planes - perfect! And you're getting closer to half way through the alphabet. Fun, fun.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your alphabet letters are so fun! I love your plane blocks, they look great in red and blue. A plane quilt is on my must-do list.

Vera said...

Nice projects. I escpecially like those planes.

SewPsyched! said...

Thank you for the great wonky cutting idea! Cool! and those airplane blocks are Awesome!!!!!

Lorna McMahon said...

All your blocks look like sew much fun! Love the wonky setting you are planning for one of your alphabet sets. Those airplane blocks are so bright and beautiful. Nice work, Cynthia!

01 09 10