Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Every Last Bit

I don't usually keep really small scraps.  There is no way I will ever be able to sew up all the fabric I have right now in my lifetime so I have no problem tossing  tiny bits in my trash.  But...



When I get a large number of similar scraps, I can't seem to let them go.  I don't put these in my scrap bins - instead they pile up around my cutting table.  Such was the case for a bunch of gray trimmings I uncovered this week.  

They all measured about 1 x 4" - and there were a lot of them!



I knew I could use them with a number of pieces already cut in my stash.  So I pulled some 2.5" squares and some leftover binding bits in purples, grays and turquoises.


With almost no effort, I quickly had a pile of blocks.  I still had quite a few more gray "sticks" so I decided to pull more scraps and keep going.



Looks like I am on my way to a lap size quilt!



But the really good news is my cutting table is all cleaned off!  I have now dealt with all of the fabric or bits of scraps that were piled all over it.  It was getting to the point where my cutting space was quite small. 

Now to work on the ironing board.  Who knows what I will find there!




Linking Up:

21 comments:

Cathy said...

Way to go! What a nice happy lap quilt to be. Congrats on finding that cutting mat and using scraps you might otherwise have thrown out. Now I should go find my cutting mat.

Karen's Korner said...

A double bonus..... a pretty quilt and another clean area. You are on a roll.

Jo said...

Looking good. Hope you didn't move some from your cutting board to your ironing board and then back again.

cityquilter grace said...

great use for those little pieces that would otherwise be in the trash....and a clean surface? oooh i am jealous about that...

Tammy Hutchinson said...

You are so productive Cynthia! Great quilt!

tbear said...

Nice quilt colors! I can so relate to the task of trying to keep things tidy
Every time I start a new project , my sewing room gets turned upside down

Chantal said...

Always find inspiration when I come here. Thank you for that. On the ironing board, maybe you'll find the backing for this new lap size quilt. lol. ;^)

Louise said...

Great use of those little gray bits! Such a useful neutral. It works so well with the purple and turquoise. Very nice :)

Jenny said...

Isn't it strange what we find when we are not really looking!! You've certainly put those little strips to good use.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is just super what you did with those scraps!

Cheryl said...

Oh my goodness these pieces are so cute and tiny! I really like these blocks.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A pretty way to use up those small scrappy bits!

Barb Neiwert said...

I see you're having fun yet again! Your use of those scraps is amazing! Looking good! And your cutting table is awesome - actually looks like mine today, after much, much work to put away everything from this past month. Time to start over!

Charlotta said...

Brilliant!

piecefulwendy said...

What a great way to use those scraps, and your cutting table is so neat and organized! It's like the opposite of my sewing room that I posted about today! Good for you!

Pamela said...

That happens to me, too - I end up cutting on a little corner of my cutting table! I really need to sew up some of those pieces, this looks awesome!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a pretty combination! I really like the gray frames around the center pieces. Your nice clean cutting table is putting me to shame - mine definitely needs some attention!

Jayne said...

You are giving me a run for my money on using small scraps, huh?! Your idea of using them in this block is perfect and I love how you must keep going now! I bet it won't take too long to fill that cutting table up again!

Sandy Panagos said...

Great use of tiny scraps. That's gonna be cute! I'm not sure my cutting table has ever been cleaned off.

Ann said...

I love how they all go together. Congratulations on your happy discovery.

Kristi said...

I just love how you make something wonderful out of seemingly nothing!!! Your creative process is so much fun to watch and totally inspiring!! I picked up a jungle print and a pile of scraps from our local Linus Project group last week. I thought of you when figuring out what to do with them. I now have them cut up for a square and hourglass cascade quilt. It was really fun to see what I could do with a bunch of odd-balls!

01 09 10