Sunday, September 15, 2019

Oh Scrap! : More Orphan Blocks

Speaking of Orphan Blocks, the Orphan Adoption Event is going on so if you want to play with someone's orphaned project, you can maybe adopt some here!



I finished up the last little quilt I made from some orphan blocks and will probably share that finish later this week.  So I decided to move onto the next stack of blocks.  I thought this time I would take photos of the process in case you were interested.

This block pull started with the orphaned hexagon blocks .  To that stack, I added any orphans that were orange.



My piecing process is very visual so I always work on a design wall.  I started by putting the five blocks up in this configuration so I could get started. 



I then just started adding all the blocks up on the wall and started look for a layout that was visually pleasing.  I like to try and use as many blocks as I can in the beginning.



I decided I just didn't like the blocks with a lot of turquoise and replaced the center block with a pinwheel on point.



I dug around in my stash and found an orange sketch fabric that would work for a background.  I wanted to pull the white in the border blocks into the body of the quilt to add cohesiveness, so I framed the pinwheel.  This also helped me enlarge that block so I could piece all the blocks on point.  I just had to add flip corners to the appropriate edges of the hexagon blocks.



Then the center area was sewn and I could really see the quilt coming together.  I sewed some white and green strips to the border units to make them the same length as the center.



I then dug around in my spare parts and scraps so I could make three more pinwheels for the corners.  I focused on green and browns to add more cohesion.



Then it was just a matter of adding some thin white sashing around all the components.
The top measures at just over a yard square so I just need to find a width of fabric that is about 1.25 yards long for the backing.
  I think orphan blocks from at least 4 different projects went into this piece.

I should be able to get it on my longarm frame soon so a finished post will be forthcoming!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 
Quilting is more fun than Housework
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter


21 comments:

Chantal said...

Congratulations! Those orphan blocks really make a cute quilt all together. I love how the orange rectangles give a sense of movement, like a gear or a waterwheel. Very well done! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It was so fun to watch and read how you brought all those different blocks together! I love how this one turned out, Cyndy. Have a great Sunday!

Jayne said...

It's always fun seeing how other people design their quilts, and this was no exception. Thank goodness for design walls! I can't wait to see where you take this!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You and your orphan blocks... INCREDIBLE!!!

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness...how can that be an orphan block quilt? It's a beauty. Congrats on that creativity. I've been playing in my orphan blocks too but I don't think any of my orphan block quilts will say WOW like yours does!

gayle said...

I love to watch you play with blocks!

Karen's Korner said...

I am always intrigued by how you put random pieces together and they end up looking they were made for each other.

Debra Campbell said...

Very impressive! That is a lovely one-of-a-kind quilt. You've given me some ideas for a few of my own orphan blocks.

KaHolly said...

Very impressive! And highly motivating! When Dorian knocked out our power for four days, I took that opportunity to dig deep, and found lots of orphan blocks that haven’t seen the light of day for years. They were constructed back when I liked to work small, so I’ve been turning them into little quilts for ADollLikeMe. It’s such fun to have so many little finishes and eliminate all those little baggies from my bins, not that it’s made much of a dent! Thank you for such an inspiring post!

Bonnie said...

Great process photos and explanation. I've done this before but don't remember to pull orphan blocks out all that often. And thanks to your reader KaHolly for suggesting small blocks be made for A Doll Like Me quilts. Must see what I can do. Great blog this week.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I always enjoy reading your posts, Cynthia. And of course, seeing your great stitching.

Rebecca Grace said...

That “orphan rescue” looks fantastic!! I can’t believe the blocks were from different projects; you’ve really created a work that looks intentional.

Susie H said...

I enjoyed watching the design process of your hexies. Looking fabulous!

Susan said...

That is one delightful quilt on your design wall! I loved seeing the progression of all the additional parts.

Yvonne said...

Had you not told us that was made of orphan blocks I would have thought it was a planned out cute little quilt. It's just adorable.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Cynthia - hexagon blocks. They look complicated! Your quilt really looks good. The white in there really adds a lot.

Mystic Quilter said...

Inspired use of orphan blocks, I love it, especially the colour.

Kate said...

Your orphan block quilts are always so cool. It was fun to see how you pulled this one together. Congrats on another finish and on emptying your orphan block case just a bit more.

Lindah said...

Cute! I loved following your design process. Over the years, I have collected quite a "spare parts department," but I haven't quite known how to put them together. This "loosens" my perspective and gives me the push to get going with them. Thanks!

Kathleen Kingsbury said...

You are just amazing!!
kakingsbury at verizon dot net

Linda said...

So interesting to see how you turned that collection of Orphan blocks into a very pretty Baby Quilt. Thank you for explaining process. Food for thought! Looking forward to seeing the Purple one.

01 09 10