Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Swirling in my Head

Every once in a while, I get a quilt idea in my head and no matter what I do, I cannot shake it.

Most of the time, these ideas are a lot of work to execute.  
Once I start them, I tend to become a bit obsessed with them.

Recently I gave in to one of these ideas!



Years ago, I used to teach an improv flower class.  I have been wanting to dust off my skills and make another quilt from the technique.  Who knows, maybe I will teach the class again.

I started out by making this 12.5" block.  A red flower with a teal background.



I then had to make a smaller 6.5" red block.



I also decided I needed an orange bloom - but this time with a grass green background.

Just what started this idea in my head?
I have always struggled with the color green.  To my eye, various shades of green do not work well together in a quilt.



But then I look at my gardens and the foliage all looks so beautiful together!

So I am building my own garden completely out of my scrap bins.  Hopefully along the way, I learn to love the color green a bit more in my quilting.

So tell me, are you one to dodge something that makes you uncomfortable or do you confront it head on knowing you might fail?

I sure hope I don't end up with a complete train wreck!




Linking Up:


11 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I share your thoughts (as well as your hesitance) on green. I have found with any color the more in the mix the better. If you have just one or two oddballs they stand out.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that pattern!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Isn't that a neat block?! Sort of a crumb/string block with a flowery shape! I really like what you're starting there. I agree with you and Libby - greens can be hard to pull together, but the way you're using them in those blocks looks great! I love getting a peak at your garden, too!

Debra Campbell said...

I understand your obsession when you get an idea. I'm the same. It sure screws up my schedule. I may be in the middle of a quilt; but when inspiration strikes,I have to drop everything and focus on that idea. Sometimes I can stop at the design stage if I make great notes. Other times I have to follow through to completion.

Sarah@123quilt said...

Green is always tricky for me. It's my favorite color but I struggle with it in quilts. I really love your orange bloom and I can't wait to see your garden quilt!

Louise said...

I know what you mean about greens. I tend to separate yellow greens from anything shading toward aqua, but you're right that nature beautifully mixes them all. I tend to press forward with quilts that aren't going quite the way I planned, since mine are quite small so it's a low investment. What I've learned is that they ALL look better quilted :)

Vicki in MN said...

Sometimes it is just plain hard to let go and mix it all together. I try to do this on donation quilts to experiment. I love those rosy blooms!

Jayne said...

There are times when you have to drop everything because an idea is so strong! I love your flowers and believe it's going to be a gorgeous quilt in the end. Green might not seem right at the moment, but you have to look at the bigger picture!!

chrisknits said...

I hear you on the combining of shades of colors. But God shows us these blends all the time! I tend to avoid the things I am unsure of unless I REALLY want the end product. And then I tend to push it off until I can wait no longer. LOL

JanineMarie said...

I’m a dodger for sure. But I do love my greens and have long been of the opinion that the more different ones you have, the better they look together—as in nature. In fact, I painted my bedroom in a green that would look good with both yellow and blue greens so I could make a quilt with them. Somehow, the quilt never got made. :( Using your flowers will be a great way for you to test out the green “theory.”

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Seeing your flower block is reminding me I started one of them as a QAYG sample for a guild presentation. Once the presentation was done I never went back and finished it. Need to add that to my to do list. It's a great way to 'make' flowers. As for green . . . it's one of my favorite colors and I have used all shades of it together in several quilts. Blue is the color I have the least of in my stash and find harder to use in different shades.

01 09 10