Saturday, December 27, 2014

Snowflakes on Christmas

For an entire year, there has been a finished quilt top sitting right next to my sewing machine and for an entire year I have worked around it.  In fact some of you may remember photos of the top I shared in June of 2013!  All it needed was to have the final papers pulled out, the sides trimmed and the edges stay-stitched.  But because it was a Christmas quilt, I felt I could always put it off for another day.  Exactly why I missed finishing it for last Christmas!

Well, a few days before this Christmas I finally got around to doing this 30 minute job and immediately got to quilting it up!.




Christmas Eve was spent cuddled under the quilt finishing up the last of the hand stitching on the binding.  (For the binding I simply used the excess backing - which is a great frosty feeling turquoise snowflake print.)



The quilt was all ready to relax with on Christmas day!




 Thankfully few of the fabrics in the quilt are Christmas themed so I can enjoy this quilt for the rest of the winter.  The colors will certainly brighten the gray rainy days we get here in Oregon.


 This quilt was english paper pieced using 2" hexagons so the top was all hand pieced.  I really enjoyed making all the separate snowflakes. Fitting them together to make the quilt top was like a big puzzle!


Finish Along 2014

This quilt was the only item on my Q4 Finish Along list that I even spent any time on.  One of these years I am going to be on the ball and plan to finish my holiday projects earlier in the year.  In fact, maybe I should consider getting a few items on my Q1 list for the new year!


(A huge thanks to Katy at The Littlest Thistle for keeping me focused on finishing so many projects in 2014!)






 I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday filled with quilts and hugs to keep you warm!




If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Craftsy, Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!

Linking up:  

21 comments:

Jasmine said...

I totally love this. In fact, I was thinking earlier today about either making a hexagon snowflake table runner or quilt. Thanks for the inspiration, and congrats on getting it finished.

Lorna McMahon said...

This quilt says Christmas like no other! What an absolutely glorious finish! Love the colours. How amazing that you hand pieced this top. Looks so spirited and bright. Beautiful finish, Cynthia!

Mary said...

This turned out beautifully.

Ella said...

I love the EPP flakes!

SewPsyched! said...

What a GORGEOUS quilt!! So glad you finished it in time to cuddle under it during the long rainy winters you get. X!

Rike Busch said...

What a BEAUTIFUL pattern! That's awesome! Thanks for the inspiration.
Greetings, Rike

Kris said...

ohh love this! Great finish!!

Michele said...

Yeah for you and it turned out beautiful.

CapitolaQuilter said...

This is the best Holiday quilt I've seen out there - wow - love it all, congrats on the finish.

Unknown said...

omg, that is so beautiful, you almost make me want to do hexies

Carole @ Fresh off the Frame said...

Ooo, I like the idea of hexi snowflakes. Congrats on finishing in time for Christmas this year!

gibbygoo56 said...

GORGEOUS! I am in awe! Love the colors! Snowflakes!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here
This finished up beautifully
I love everything about it

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I am so glad you got this one finished up in time, and it sounds like it was cozy final work on the binding. It is lovely!

Barb Neiwert said...

It's the perfect quilt to cheer up a drab, winter day. I have a lot of Christmas fabric that I should start on now for next Christmas, or maybe pull it out in June. The years just seem to fly by!

Jenny Bonynge said...

Really sweet! Love the colors...Now what handwork will you be working on?

Anonymous said...

I love this! I think it looks great with 2" hexies!

JanineMarie said...

What a fun quilt to cozy up in all winter long!

Carol said...

That is a fun pattern!

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

Beautiful quilt. I really love the color combination!

Katy Cameron said...

Congrats on getting it finished :o)

01 09 10