Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #3 Part One

I don't know about you, but I am tired of this cold, dreary winter.  The sun did peek its head out this morning, but before I could get out and enjoy it, the sky clouded up and the rain set in.  So if we can't get sunny skies, I opt to find sunshine in this month's Scrap-A-Palooza quilt!







As I store my scraps by color, I decided to go bright this month and grabbed my bins of red, pink, yellow and orange.


I can see some sunshine in there already!
 
In looking at the scrap sizes in these bins, I see quite a few "strings" of varying width.  So these will be the inspiration for this month's quilt.


My vision for this quilt will be to use scrappy strings to create a rainbow color block quilt. 
 
As I am getting ready to take a bunch of quilts to various charities, I am going to only use the hot colors of the rainbow and make my quilt baby size so it can be added to the pile.




So the first step is to get the strips pressed and trimmed.  I am planning a 10.5" unfinished block so I just rough cut all my strips to be at least 11" long.
 
 
If I don't cut to precise lengths, I find I can do this step while watching TV or cooking dinner. The blocks I am planning can easily be squared up later.



How much to cut?  
Well, we are making 10" finished blocks so first you need to determine the size quilt you want.  Once you have your block count and know the number of colors that will be in your quilt, to determine the amount of strings to cut, you need enough strings in each block to create a piece about 9" wide.   
 
We will also be using a bit of sashing with these blocks so you might want to plan ahead and see what you have in your stash.  I will be using a a white on white remnant from an old project in mine.


 
 
 
So how about it, are you ready to sew some sunshine out of your scraps?!?
 
 
 

As you sort through your scraps for your own inspiration, remember to narrow your fabric choices down to keep your quilt cohesive.  This is what I refer to as "naming the quilt". You are not giving your quilt a name, but you are defining the fabrics that will be used.  In my example, I have named this quilt my "Red, Pink, Orange, Yellow Color Block String quilt".  As I cut my scraps, I only used fabrics that would fit into that definition.  I truly think doing this is what helps to ensure a successful, eye-appealing scrap quilt.
 
It is not necessary to pull the bright colors like I did.  This quilt is lovely in the jewel tones, earthy batiks, or add turquoise and lime to extend the rainbow.


Now off we go to finish cutting up our scraps. I will meet you back here in about a week and we will start laying out our quilts.

Here's an overview of the important stuff to do before the next step!

  • "Name your Quilt" or determine your block colors
  • Pull your scraps/stash.  Think about what to use for the sashing fabric
  • Cut your scraps into strings
  • And most importantly, get creative and have fun!

Each month, I see more and more of you joining in.  I would love to include some pictures and links to your projects. Feel free to grab the button in the sidebar to share with your readers so they know what you are up to.

And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Now let's get this Party started!


http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/5198185

I will be sharing this with the following linky parties. Anything Goes at Val's Quilting Studio, Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts, WIP Wednesday with Freshly Pieced and Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story.  Be sure and check out these blogs for even more quilty inspiration.
 
Lily's Quilts

8 comments:

Beth said...

So on my list for this year a low volume string quilt. Squares cut and drawer full of various light colors. I think I should sew along with you! I love your brights and want spring to arrive much sooner than later!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

I love all of the hot colors! I see sunshine in there too and boy do we need some sun. :)

Barb Neiwert said...

I'm not as organized as you with scraps - the small ones just get thrown into a bag. Anything that is sizeable enough to fold, goes into a tray sorted by color. This is going to take some time to see how many strips I can come up with. Fun, fun!

Shauna said...

loving those colors, they are real pick me up colors!!!!!

Sarah @ Berry Barn Designs said...

Those colors are so welcome after this rough winter! Have fun piecing : )

Alisa said...

I think it will be great!

Lorna McMahon said...

Those pretty strips will be sure to brighten up your day. I know just how you feel about the winter weather. Looking forward to watching the sun rise as you piece together this sweet baby quilt!

Patchwork Fairy said...

Hi - found you on Lily's Fresh Sewing Day! That's good advice about 'naming your quilt'. I have so many different coloured scraps that it's hard to actually concentrate and start using them! I will have a go following this method :)

01 09 10