Sunday, May 12, 2019

Oh Scrap! : The Clean-up Quilt

First off, I want to wish all of you Mom's a very special Mother's Day.  



I would love to give each of you flowers but this digital bloom will have to do.  My peonies are just starting to bloom and the color show is simply amazing!




This past week I have been sewing up the last of the Australian fabric into quilt number three.  I pretty much only had strips and bits left so I thought I would make some simple string blocks.  Are you surprised?!  I wanted each block to have two thin black strings as shown in the block above.  I did have to pull some older black/tan fabrics from my stash to accomplish this.  But the rest of the blocks were made from the Australian prints.

I hope to get them sewn up into a quilt top this week.


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 
Quilting is more fun than Housework
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter


12 comments:

Cathy said...

It's fun to see what you have come up with from a pile of scraps. And it makes me realize how little it really takes to make a quilt so I'd better get sewing...

The Joyful Quilter said...

What pretty blocks! I'll be looking forward to seeing what quilt design develops.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those leftovers are going to make great string blocks - all that pretty color! Have a wonderful Sunday, Cyndy - hope you're playing in your garden!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Love your strings - I keep telling myself to do one I have plenty of strings for sure

Marly said...

I'm sure there's a purpose in having those black strings in each block. Are they in exactly the same position? I'm interested in what the effect will be in the final layout.

Jayne said...

You've done amazing things with this fabric and this string block will be no exception! I'm not surprised...you are the queen of scraps and I've never seen moss grow under your feet!! Your peonies are gorgeous. I've seen some around my neighborhood and really need to plant one for myself. They remind me of my Grama!!

cityquilter grace said...

aahhh peonies....probably my favorite...

Angie in SoCal said...

What a beautiful peony! Thank you.

MissPat said...

Your string blocks have given me an ides for using a binful of orientals with a black strip in the center of each string block. Can't wait to see your Australian version. We're a few weeks away from peonies and I've lost most of mine to a disease. Peonies are supposed to be virtually indestructible, but not in my garden.
Pat

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh I love paeonies, we can't grow them where we are in Auckland, too humid and not cold enough in Winter, yours is a beautiful colour. Having so many blog posts to catch up on I'm just reading the latest from everyone, so only just catching up with your Australian fabric string blocks, lovely!

em's scrapbag said...

Your peony is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Good job on the string blocks. They will make a lovely quilt.

Susie H said...

I think the strip blocks are beautiful and will certainly make a gorgeous quilt. Keep on sewing!

01 09 10