Sunday, December 5, 2021

Oh Scrap! : Cutting and Sewing

 I have been able to find quite a bit of time to sew this week but my newest scrap quilt sure is slow in progress.  I feel like all I do is cut-cut-cut and then sew-sew-sew and only a few blocks go up on the wall.



Here is where I am right now.  I have finished three rows about 48" wide.  I have now started sewing the next pieces for the next three rows.



I am just sticking them up on the wall as I get each one completed.  I will have to work on the final placement later to balance out the fabrics.

(That bright blue piece will definitely need to be hidden along an edge!)



But as I was putting up some pieces, I realized I could sew four strips together and create a different design by rotating each alternate block.  I could create some fun zigzag designs with the colors. 

This certainly gives me something to think about!

What are your thoughts....


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


Follow Me on Bloglovin'                    Follow Me on Feedly




Linking Up:


17 comments:

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love the alternating directions layout!!!

Julierose said...

I love them in long rows! I like how the little corners make those diamond shapes...I can picture this pattern in so many colors--really a great one, Cynthia...nice job on this hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You are so good at coming up with blocks that can make great designs in multiple ways! I like both things you've shown, so I'm no help there, lol. Have a great Sunday!

LA Paylor said...

very dynamic!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love your new quilt project..love all those
pretty scraps. Have a great day!

swooze said...

What about alternating the gold and orange next to each other and then the opposite color underneath. It would make sort of an undulating pattern

Barb N said...

Question: When you stitch the horizontal blocks together won't that block become smaller than the vertical block? Otherwise, I love the concept. Also interesting to see you will 'hide' the light blue block in the outside of the quilt :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

ohhh that is really going to be cute - it has lots of different layout options

Turid said...

I love those blocks. Alternating them will give you an interesting result.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I love the colors all marching in a row, Cynthia. So much so that I'm considering this design for one of my RSC22 projects!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Those long rows are so cool! I like that arrangement best.

Jeanna said...

Those are really pretty blocks. The row layout appeals to me but I'm sure it will look nice whatever you decide.

Jenny said...

Simple but oh so effective, that's my kind of sewing!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh these blocks are looking so good, I like them just in rows as they are in top photo, very striking with the little pops of bright colour.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Good luck Cynthia. What ever you choose will be great, I'm sure :-) Have a good week.

Sandy Panagos said...

I really like your second layout!

Vicki W said...

I really love this quilt and the alternate layout is really intriguing!

01 09 10