Monday, November 21, 2022

Your Questions Answered

 There have been a few questions asked in the comment section that I thought I would answer in a post of their own.  I will try my best to address them here.



One of the questions I received were what size rectangle did I use for the start of these blocks.  I cut these at 4.5" x 6.5", but you can really start with whatever size works best with the scraps you are using.  Both of the light and dark floral fabric were the trimmings of a quilt backing.  I already had widths that left at least 4.5" wide so that is what I started with. 

I always like to frame these big prints that for this project I used some 1.5" wide brown strips.



Here is a similar quilt I made years ago.  I think I started these blocks off with a 4.5" x 6.5" rectangle also.  I used a black fabric to frame them which gave a lot more contrast.



Another question I received was how I choose my scraps to finish out the blocks.  This is a subject I get asked all the time.  I treat my scraps no different than I treat bolted fabric in a fabric store when I am putting together a quilt.  I start with my focus fabric - which is the print in the rectangle.  I pull my scraps from the colors that the print contains.  I try really hard not to bring in any other colors.  But if you look at the above blocks, you can see the colors in the center that I then used for the strips.  The designer of the fabric has already done most of the colorwork, you just have to copy what they created.

Just like when you are putting together a quilt in a fabric store...You use what matches.

I don't worry too much about whether the strip is a plaid or a dot - big print or small....I am just looking for the color.  When I am teaching, I always ask my student to not overthink it and just trust the process.  I think many are amazed at the results and just how simple it is. 


And finally, a reader saw a corner of this quilt in my photo of my new little helper (Artie the dog).  It is my improv Garden quilt and you can read more about it in this post.

I will teaching this class early spring up in Hillsboro Or so stay tuned for more information.  We haven't set the date yet but the location allows for lots of students so I am pretty sure it will be open for public enrollment.  The more the merrier!


Hope all of you enjoy your week.  For those in the US, have a great Thanksgiving!


Follow Me on Bloglovin'                 Follow Me on Feedly



4 comments:

Libby in TN said...

That's what I tell my students, as well. The designer is the professional; therefore, trust they know what they're doing.

MissPat said...

I love this quilt. I struggle with improv blocks, but I did make a mug rug with an improv flower for one of my Tablescrapes Challenge projects. Since I live on the opposite side of the country from you, taking your class won't work, but I used the book Cut-Loose Quilts by Jan Mullen to make my flower, so maybe I'll give it a try on my own.
Pat

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving, too!

Michelle said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

01 09 10