Friday, February 4, 2022

An Older UFO Finish

 Back in early January, I had shared that a friend and I have challenged each other to paring down our UFO lists this year.  We picked 12 projects and then I drew a number for January.



Here is the project that came up for me.  I was gifted all these fabrics from a friend years ago - She had fallen out of love with them.  Part of the fabric was already cut into strips.  And there was already a backing piece, so I didn't want to break it up and put all the fabric in my stash.  Looks like January was the month I was going to finally do something with it.




I am proud to say I finished the quilt on the last day of January!




I decided to keep it really simple and make a stacked coin quilt with the fabrics.  I didn't want to be too fussy about the strip width so I didn't have to match seams.




I cut everything into 8.5" strips and sewed them together like the blocks above.  Then I just sewed them together into columns.




I think it looks pretty go!

I really like the quilting I did.  I quilted in horizontal lines about 1.5" apart.  Then I went back over some of the lines with a soft curve.




It measures about 60 x 70" so it is a nice sized lap quilt.  I will most likely list it in my Etsy shop.  I really like the quilt but I have just too many quilts around my hose right now.





Here is a photo of the lovely purple backing.  There was even a fun striped fabric in the pile for the binding.  I still have a lot of the fabric leftover but I ended up putting it all into fabric stash.

The UFO number for February has been drawn but my friend and I each have to spend time finding the projects drawn!  Mine is an ancient one...I will be sharing it soon. As soon as I find it!!

Enjoy your weekend.


Follow Me on Bloglovin'                   Follow Me on Feedly




Linking Up:

18 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it looks great - love the way you quilted it

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohh I like it!!
It turned out so great!!
I think I may have one of those fabrics hmmmm

Char said...

Congrats, great finish.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is really pretty. The curved lines gives it a lot of movement. Congrats on the finish!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Fantastic; one down 11 to go (you can do it!). The backing and binding are great, I can see why you wanted to keep the fabrics together to make the best use of those.

loulee said...

What a fantastic finish, sometimes simple is the best. Your quilting compliments the stacked coins and not matching the seams is always a great way to achieve a quick finish.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Really pretty, I like how you let the fabrics in this pretty collection do all the work. I also like how you quilted it. I may "borrow" your idea for future donation quilts - Thanks for sharing.

Jenny said...

Stacked Coins is always a nice pattern to use with multiple fabrics, your quilt with the gifted fabrics turned out very nice indeed.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
really like your coin quilt...so colorful and
all those colors go together great...have a
great day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are pretty colors together! Do you think they were all from one fabric line? I like that stacked coin design, too. I have lots of strips that I could do that with, if I weren't distracted by Bloom blocks, lol!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super sweet UFO finish, Cynthia!! I guess that offsets one of your studio squirrels. Right? :o))

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A colourful coin quilt! And I love how you quilted it too!

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on finishing up your UFO! Looks great and it sounds like it came together easily and quickly. Always fun to see long patient projects get a turn.

Yvonne said...

That is just darling!

Kris said...

This is fab. I want to do something on this order when I get my scraps together. I love the backing too!

Melanie said...

Great finish! Love the idea to use different width strips. Even easier ;) And the quilting looks awesome. Enjoy xo

Anonymous said...

Great finish! I love how you quilted it. Does the person who gifted the fabric to you want the quilt now? LOL!
Kathleen - kakingsbury at verizon dot net

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on the finish. This is a great way to eliminate UFOs and it's nice that you have a friend to help with encouragement and motivation.

01 09 10