Friday, October 7, 2022

Placemat Status Check

 I received a call from my contact at Meals on Wheels to start coordinating the delivery of my donated placemats.  She would like me to deliver them to their office before the end of October.

This is a few weeks earlier than I was planning so my goal of 200 is probably not going to happen.

I thought I would get a status check on where I am currently at and what is hiding out in the pipeline.





I finished sewing on the bindings on a few colors.  Here are a few in orange.



Followed by a few in purple.



I also made these green stripy ones.  When I started this project, I pulled a bunch of unloved fabrics for the backings and I have been just making simple designs to use up all the fabrics I pulled.



Here are some I made using some of my orphan blocks.  I think these bring this month's total up to 13.  



When I add these to the big stack hiding away in my closet, I now have a total of 164 placemats all completed.  The stack is now 25" tall. I know I have four more just awaiting binding and I think there are two or three waiting to be quilted.  So I think 170 will be about all I will get done.  I need to shut off the pipeline pretty soon.

I will share the last few I complete before I deliver them later this month.  It will be nice to finally be able to clean up my sewing room - this project has created havoc in my house because there have been little stacks of scraps all over the place.





Linking Up:





14 comments:

Julierose said...

How wonderful that you made all these for Meals on wheels people; bringing some joy to their daily lives;))) Nice work Hugs, Julierose

Juliana said...

Congratulations on so many beautiful gifts for the people receiving Meals on Wheels!

Jenny said...

Good on you, that's an awful lot of placemats. I'm sure each recipient will love their colourful gift.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What an impressive amount. . .is it possible to shut off the pipeline when there is material waiting to be inserted into it? Twenty five inches high. . .WOW! How much does the stack weigh? Well done!!!

Chantal said...

A pat on the back, Cynthia! You did an amazing job even if you don't reach your personal goal. That pile is SO impressive. I totally can relate to having scraps all over the place. When I play with all the scraps of every colours at once, it's havoc in my sewing room. But it's so much fun! Have all these placemats emptied a bin or two of scraps at least? ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's an amazing number of placemats to give to Meals on Wheels! So impressive! I love the orange ones especially, but they're all going to be appreciated.

Mystic Quilter said...

WOW! What a stack of placemats and for such a good cause, the folks who're going to be using them will be thrilled.

Linda In UK said...

What an incredible total! You have worked very hard and given your time and energy to a good cause, I’m sure the placemats will be so appreciated. I can’t begin to imagine the mess all those collected scraps would create!

Mary said...

Such a worthy project and a nice way to use orphan blocks. I love using up scraps to make placemats, but I understand how a project like this takes on it's own life. My guild has a placemat challenge for our quilt show, and at the end they go to a group for distribution with meals as well.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Wow, I would say 170 is a fantastic amount to donate, especially if the donation time is sooner than you had anticipated. I'm sure they will be thrilled to receive them!

Anonymous said...

I think you have done an extraordinary job of completing so many placemats by yourself. Last year our guild joined with another to make 400+ for our Meals on Wheels Program. There were 30 or more women working on this project. Some made more than others, but none made 100 or more. These placemats are well received and loved. The program continues to accept placemats as new clients come to the program each month.

Michelle said...

Amazing! And well done!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

AMAZING status check!!!
Those are all so cool - and the one with the music notes!! I love it!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW incredible, Cynthia!!! Looking forward to seeing the new additions.

01 09 10