Sunday, October 24, 2021

Oh Scrap! : Finishing the Last Blocks

 I always find the last few blocks of a quilt top take the most amount of time to make.

Once I get about 80% of the blocks completed, I will put them all up on a design wall and identify what other blocks are needed to even out the color placement.  Then I start to pull scraps to make the necessary blocks.




I needed just three more blocks and there really needed to be a few more bright blocks.  So I made one in turquoise and one in lime.




And finally I made another gray one.  My gray bin no longer holds all the gray scraps I had so I made this color out of necessity.  In the near future, I am going to have to come up with a project that uses gray - or I will be faced with starting a second bin.  Let's not go there!




I now have all the blocks done and I have started to sew them together.  The first two rows are done and it shouldn't take me long to sew up the rest of the quilt top.  Love those large blocks!


Next I will work on my final 2021 RSC project - which is the scrappy churn dash.
Look for those next week!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


14 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, what a lot of colorful slabs! And good for you for getting most of your RSC quilts to the finish line already.

Ivani said...

It is a beautiful and bright RSC quilt. What is the size of your blocks, 12" (question mark)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray for being able to close the gray scrap bin, now!! That block was a great way to finish off your block collection, Cynthia. Happy quiltin!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is looking so great - the perfect example of why I love scrappy rainbow quilts! Have fun finishing it up, and enjoy your Sunday, too!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

The only problem with reading your posts, Cynthia, is your lovely blocks always make me want to head into the sewing room and make them too. Always great ideas here, especially for the RSC.

Deb said...

Wow , I do love color family blocks! I have a bunch in the parts department. I think December may be "Get it together month!" for me!

Ramona said...

My gray bin overfloweth, too. I’m planning on making Bonnie Hunters Silver Linings quilt to tame them. Never start a second bin!!! 😂
Love your blog.

Char said...

Wow, I love this!

LA Paylor said...

all your blocks together are stunning

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lovely scrappy blocks! Such great colors.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your gray block was the perfect addition to your grouping. Once again, you've created magic with your scraps. It is such a happy top!

Bonnie said...

Another RSC block set becomes a top...or almost a top! Great job.

Turid said...

I really love your colorful and scrappy quilt Cynthia. So inspiring.

Carol Andrews said...

Beautiful scrappy blocks hanging all together

01 09 10