Sunday, November 28, 2021

Oh Scrap! : Too Many Blues

 Not too recently, I had my blue scrap bin out.  After sorting out some pieces I wanted, I realized the bin was still so stuffed and overflowing, I could not slide it back into its home.

It has sat in the middle of my sewing room floor waiting for me to do something about it.



After much thinking, I finally came up with an idea. Most of my darker blue scraps are wider strings.  I also have a lot of dark blue leftover bindings already cut at 2.5" wide.  So, I decided to cut them to 8.5" lengths and use some 1.5" red, orange and gold squares to create some flip corners on the ends.  These small squares will also help me use up a lot of the tiny scraps in my warm color bins.

Two problems addressed.



Right now, my plan is to put them together like this. I need to spend some time pulling and cutting the necessary scraps but I think this is a good start.

I really didn't want to start a new project until next year but you can't control when inspiration strikes!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


Follow Me on Bloglovin'                   Follow Me on Feedly



Accuquilt Dynamic Promo



16 comments:

scraphappy said...

An overflowing bin is a great reason to start a new quilt. Good luck getting the drawer closed again and making a fun quilt in the process.

Cathy said...

Oh, I like that idea!

Rose said...

My blues are always the bin that stays full.

Meloney said...

I love your idea. When I first saw it I thought of sashing that made a star. :) I need to figure out how to use up my scraps, but mine are smaller than yours. I have lots of smaller pieces. Maybe that will be the focus in 2022.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I saw this on IG and wanted to jump right in on a project of my own!! I won't, but I really wanted to, Cynthia. You are such an inspiration when it comes to scrap sewing!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I don't see a problem with starting a new project, lol! Especially when you have a great idea that you just have to try. I like those colors, and the shape is interesting, too. Enjoy!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Cynthia, isn't it difficult to stop from starting new projects...I find the actual doing and finishing the hard part. Good luck with getting those blues under control :-)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Starting a new project when you've an overflowing bin seems logical to me! I look forward to seeing your progress!

Nicole said...

I like these very much. I will look forward to progress!

ChezVies said...

I love these! Great way to use up the leftover binding :)

QuiltGranma said...

Wonderful way to use up a bunch of fabric! Looking forward to seeing the finish.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I'm so glad you went with this inspiring notion. I have a lot of blues it seems too. The warm golds and yellows on the edges are just perfect. This is going to be beautiful.

Vicki W said...

That's a great plan for a scrap quilt. I don't have a scrap quilt in the works now but I have about a dozen ideas that I need to start!

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

You’re right about not needing to start a new project but seeing yours gave me an inspiration to do one like yours since I have Accuquilt dies and scraps. Win-win, right?

Mystic Quilter said...

I think the setting you're going with is just right!

Sandy Panagos said...

You are so clever!

01 09 10