Friday, February 3, 2023

Rail Fence Finishes 8 and 9

 Yep!  I have more Compassion Quilts to share this week.  These two finishes are all made with blocks donated by some of you.  Can you believe we are already up to 9 finished quilts?!


I found another yard cut of a light tan solid in my stash so I made another "boston commons" layout.

One yard is just enough to cut the strips needed at 3"and have enough left over for the binding.


Do you see your blocks?



I was a bit worried the slid was a bit drab to go with the blocks but I think it still turned out pretty well.

This quilt measures 55 x 65".



A friend gifted me the snowflake fabric to support this program and it worked great on this quilt. It was an extra wide backing so there is some left over for another quilt.




I try really hard to give each of these quilts their own personality.  So for quilt number 9, I used all the blocks that had a brighter blue in them.  They fit in fine with all the other blocks but when I put them together, they really pump up the colors!



For the block layout I went with another horizontal design.  This time I doubled up the blocks between each 3" wide strip.

Isn't that cream strip with the blue dots wonderful?  A nice big piece of yardage was tucked in a package of blocks.  I was so happy when I saw it because I was running low on fabrics that went with these blocks.  (I didn't use it all so you will be seeing it in another quilt soon.)



I really like how this one turned out.  It finished up at 50 x 65".



This tan rose piece wasn't quite big enough, so I had to add a dark brown strip on the side.  I quilted it with a light blue thread and added a bright blue binding from my stash.

I am so grateful for all the blocks that have arrived and look forward to winding down as I plan the next block drive (look for the announcement around the beginning of March.)  I do have a few more quilts to share so stay tuned!


8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You're really good at making each of these quilts unique! I really like the layout that has a set of blocks surrounded by the solid border and the next larger set with another solid border and so on. That could work for any kind of block. The bright blues are pretty all grouped together, too. Nice finishes!

Vicki W said...

You have made some fabulous quilts with these blocks!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The bright blue blocks are striking when grouped together. How wonderful that someone sent along some perfect additional yardage (cream with blue dots) for you, too!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Such great finishes. Wow! Those bright blue blocks when grouped together just SING!

Susan said...

Way exceeded everyone's expectations, I think, especially for a new donation. You have wonderful readers! I like both of these and am amazed at all the things that have turned up just when needed and go so well with the quilts. Kudos to you for starting and so steadily moving on this.

Anonymous said...

These are all looking so awesome! It's been fun to peruse the quilts and blocks aka playing "I Spy" to find the blocks I've sent. Oh! There's one! And another! Just so happy they are being used, along with the extra fabric. Kudos to you for putting this together, and I'm looking forward to (hopefully) the next block drive-
Kathy

Nann said...

Great settings! The colorway is very soothing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Incredible progress, Cynthia!! Your readers were SEW generous with their fabric and you are being as equally generous with your creativity. Both of these Compassion Quilts turned out great!

01 09 10