Friday, May 5, 2023

Churn Dash Quilts #7 and #8

 It's Friday and that means sharing two more Churn Dash quilts made from donated blocks.


The layout for quilt #7 you have already seen before.  I had a lot of large 12" blocks that leaned toward turquoise in color so I made another staggered quilt.  However, instead of inserting a piece of fabric in rows two and four, I used some 6" blocks instead.




This quilt is very bright and happy.  I quilted it with big swirls and bound it with a dark turquoise solid.




With the top being so colorful, I decided to put this donated red and white batik on the back.
This quilt measures 60 x 72" so there is a whole bunch of happiness in this one!




Here is another layout I have already shared.  I had just one yard of the bright blue so I wanted to use it up.  There was just enough for the inner border and the binding on this 54 x 66" quilt.  



When I made both of these quilts, I had a huge stock of 12" blocks so these two quilts really made a dent in the inventory.  I never quite know what size or design the blocks are going to be each day.  I just have to adjust my designs to the blocks I have.



The backing on this one got a little crazy.  I used up some smaller cuts and leftovers to make this one only to realize I calculated incorrectly and ended up having to put the red/white stripe across the top to make the backing big enough.

Thankfully right after I finished this quilt, I received some large cuts of fabric from a few people to use as backings.  Yahoo!

There are lots more Churn Dash quilts in the pipeline.  Every time I think I am catching up, another big package comes in.  I am thinking there will be more than a dozen quilts.  That is AMAZING!


9 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I love the "inner border" idea, will definitely store in in my arsenal.

Susan said...

Gorgeous quilts! I mailed an envelope with 5 12" blocks and 8 four patches yesterday. I'm sorry I couldn't get them to the post office last week, and they sat on my table for a week. =P I hope they still prove helpful.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Hooray for more large cuts of fabric arriving just when you needed it. And having more than a dozen quilts is absolutely awesome!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That inner border sure is a great design feature! I like it when the pieced back gets a little crazy. . .the more bits used the better! Well done . . .AGAIN!! You are amazing and a gift to your community!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Amazing!! I love seeing those smaller churn dashes scattered around. It's incredible how you come up with so many beauties. You have quite the eye for pulling things together. I just posted about your charity and shared the love. Incredible quilts and the churn dash is my new favorite block thanks to you!!

Kate said...

Both quilts turned out beautifully. Red, white and blue is such a wonderfully bright set of colors to work with.

Chantal said...

I love the little Churn Dash at the top and bottom. I have to remember this layout. It's just a little thing but it works great. Twelve quilts with the Churn Dash plus all you did previously is more than amazing. Excellent work. ;^)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great job!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

LOOOOVE them!!!! THese are all so cool!

01 09 10