Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #8 Part One

It is the start of a new month so that means yet another scrap quilt! You would think at some point I would run out of scraps but between classes, friends, and the finishing up of other projects, the scrap bins are just as full as ever.

So what do you say, are you up for another Scrap-A-Palooza quilt.  


My scrap quilts are usually inspired by a bag, drawer or bin that is over flowing.  Due to some recent great sales where I picked up some large cuts of fabric incredibly cheap, my dresser where I store backing fabric is crammed full.     So....


One of my favorite ways to start a scrap quilt is to begin with the backing fabric!  This is about a 5 yard cut and I love the colors so it will be perfect.

My absolute favorite scrap quilt to make are string quilts. Minimal cutting, mindless sewing and the variations and colors are endless.  I can't believe it has taken me so long to sew one up as part of the Scrap-A-Palooza series.  Looks like this is the month to change that!


My vision for this month's quilt is to make a multi-colored string quilt in colors that go with the above backing fabric.




Now that I have my backing all picked out, I dug through my scraps and pulled all the piecess that were close to the colorway of the backing.  I pulled solids, prints, batiks, linens...anything that would match.  I also found a bunch of old multi-colored fabric that was printed on black cloth.  I can simply use the back of the fabric as the right side and it will make some great black strings for this project.




 When you are pulling fabrics, try not to disregard the "unloved".  I have this old fabric that I will be working into my blocks.  If you cut it small enough and use it sparingly, you can start to move it out of your stash.  String quilts are a great opportunity to do this.




I am not sure I have enough scraps so I always like to pull a little backup fabric from my stash in case I need more.  All of these fabrics are smaller than a fat quarter and I am more than happy to see them used in this project.

(If you are curious how I store my scraps, I wrote about it here.)



 As I was pulling scraps, I realize a number of them were older Tina Givens fabric and I remembered I had a large cut in my stash.  I may find this will work for the binding. 
It would be nice to see this one go too!



I do sew my strings onto a fabric foundation.  While I usually use inexpensive muslin, I do cut up yucky fabric and simply use the back to sew the strings on to.  As this project's colors are pretty dark, I will be able to use a lot of these up.
 (I have stacks of these foundations pre-cut to various sizes so they are there when I need them.)


If you have never made a string quilt and want to see some examples of some I have made in the past, you can go here to see a compilation I put together or here to see a fun string baby quilt I made recently.


In about a week, I will share how I sew the blocks.


So if you are sewing along, over the next week you will want to get your scraps together.  Look to see if you already have a backing and try to pull colors that will work.  You can make your quilt a single color, multi-colored or anywhere in between.


 
   If you haven't sewed along in the past, maybe this is the quilt that will get you involved.  If you do join in, let me know so I can share your project.  And if you want to share with your readers what you are up to, there is a button to grab there on the sidebar.
Thanks! 
 
 

  Remember, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.
So start digging in that scrap bin!

If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!

the Purge 
 
 
Linking up with Freemotion by the River, Fresh Sewing DayMy Quilt Infatuation, Sew Fresh Quilts, and Freshly Pieced.  Hop on over to see more sewing inspirations!

15 comments:

Linda B said...

Does the quilt feel noticeably heavier with the addition of the muslin or other fabric layer?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

The quilt is a little heavier but I don't think it is that noticeable. If weight is a concern, you can easily compensate by using a lighter weight batting.

Anonymous said...

I've always had trouble mixing prints...maybe I should try a string quilt. I've got scraps and muslin! I just need to finish up a couple other projects first. I look forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Beth said...

I love string blocks too and made one block the other night to test my machine out. I am using all my light fabrics is my plan. they are fun and easy to sew and I love them when they are finished. I use tissue paper but the old fabric is a great idea.

em's scrapbag said...

Yeah! Love scrappy quilts. This is going to be lovely. Looking forward to watching it come to be.

Libby in TN said...

You and I have similar approaches -- start with an inspiration and pull everything that goes with. Can't wait to see the result.

Marly said...

I don't have enough scraps to join in, but I shall follow your posts with great interest.

Lorna McMahon said...

What a great way to plan your quilt - starting with the backing. I just recently did this myself and I loved the results. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this string quilt project, Cynthia!

Barb Neiwert said...

I am going to join you this month. I must be crazy but I have always wanted to make a string quilt and just haven't. I may not get it done this month, but I will work on it. Thanks for the nudge.

Lucy said...

Great fabric pull! I love all the deep reds you'll be working with.

Micki @ 2 Dogs Studio said...

I have followed you for awhile thinking I should join in. I think it is tIme to make a string quilt. Can you give me an guess estimate of yardage? Around xx number fat quarters? How big will it be?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

If you cut your fat quarters so your strips are 20" long, you will get the best yield. Also, keep your string widths to 2-3" wide. If you make 10" blocks, I think with 12-15 fat quarters you can easily make a quilt 40" x 50". (The smaller the blocks and the thinner the strips, the more fabric you will need)

I would think you can get a couple blocks worth of fabric out of each fat quarter.

(Sorry I couldn't send you an email but you came across as a no-reply blogger.)

Angela FlowersMoore said...

I've started a scrap quilt and plan to do 20-25 blocks. Thanks for the great tips they sure will help.

laura west kong said...

I love scrap quilts! I've started another of my own last week: http://www.adventuresofaquiltingdiva.com/muse-monday/inspired-by-scraps/

Micki @ 2 Dogs Studio said...

Cynthia, thanks for the info. I will need to start gathering some fabrics. I always forget that I haven't been able to figure how to fix out the whole no-reply thing. Next time I will add my email address to the comment.

01 09 10