Friday, August 29, 2014

Scrap-A-Palooza! Quilt #8 Finish

Not being a summer person, I am pretty happy to see the end of August and finally some cooler temperatures.   Soon we will be seeing that wonderful rain and those beautiful fall colors and Oregon can get back to being green! 

The end of August also means we are finishing up the eighth quilt in the Scrap-A-Palooza scrap series! And this month we made a string quilt - my favorite!

Here's a quick review on the previous parts to this quilt.
 
 

In Part One, I shared how I was starting with my backing fabric to pull the scrap colors for my quilt.  This is a great way for using those large cuts of fabric that don't have a home in your stash.










In Part Two, I shared a tutorial on how to sew up your string blocks.















Last week, the finished blocks went up on the design wall and a layout was chosen.  I decided to break up the pattern with a small border treatment.


And finally, the finished quilt!  Many of these fabrics are from old projects made years ago so it was fun to remember them as I sewed up the strips.  This quilt pretty much depleted my scraps of that citron green - so happy to see them go!


 

For the quilting, I did a simple overlapping squared off spiral.

 



 And because I started with the backing, it looks like I spent a lot of time shopping for the perfect fabric. When actually, I picked up this fabric really inexpensively.  It is always a great day when you can reduce the cost of a scrap quilt.

And now for a few statistics: 

Lap Quilt
Size: 62 x 72"
Fabric: Various colored strings pulled from the scrap bin with approximately 1/4 yard of black for inner border treatment
Total Blocks: 42 - 10" blocks






For September, I will be sewing with 2 1/2" strips.  My storage bin is overflowing so it is time to do something with them! Hope you join me.





Why Scrap-A-Palooza?  Because Quilting is more fun than Housework!

If you are interested in more ways to follow me, you can find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Bloglovin', Feedly, Instagram, Google +, or get my blog sent right to your email inbox by entering your email address on the right sidebar!

 
  If you do join in, don't forget to link your scrap quilt to the 4th annual scrap quilt challenge over at Fabrics N Quilts.

18 comments:

ChristaQuilts said...

What a gorgeous quilt!

Sharon said...

This turned out beautifully! I think the best color and fabric combos come from just putting all in there...that's why I love scrap quilts

em's scrapbag said...

Wow! This is stunning. Such rich colors.

Vicki said...

So beautiful! The fabrics are great.

Shauna said...

I really like the border treatment, it really frames everything up nicely.

Zenia Rene said...

Stunning! And there's nothing ""simple" looking about your quilting. Do you use a longarm ? Scrap quilts are my absolute favorite! And I totally agree, quilting is more fun that housework! I'm definitely going to sign up for the next scrap quilt challenge. I don't think I have enough time to get something entered by 10/15/14. Thanks for the info.

Lara B. said...

Cynthia, your quilting could not be a more perfect finish for this wonderful quilt!

Kitty said...

I love the black framing! This is a really gorgeous quilt for a scrap quilt (they typically don't appeal to me aesthetically, but this one is fab!)

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Good for you! I agree with Kitty: I love the thin border. The quilt would be lovely without it, but it does add something special here.

Dominique said...

fantastic scrap quilt. I bet it feels great to see some of your older fabrics go (to make room for more?). Your quilting is exquisite.

Gina said...

I love this series. Haven't joined in yet as I'm trying to sort my scraps into usable pieces. I know what I'm going to make though xx

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Great idea to start with the backing - I have quite a few yardages of lovely fabrics that I want to use as backing, so I like this idea...am away to do some planning and stash analysis!

Karen H said...

Another fabulous quilt. That was a great idea to start with the backing!

annabelle said...

:) I agree, quilting is much more fun than housework!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, the quilting compliments the design nicely!

Michelle said...

The quilt is vivid, and the narrow black border treatment was the perfect touch. Well done!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Wow, your quilting is incredible!!! Thanks for sharing at the Purge =)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That turned out great!!! Beautiful colors!

01 09 10