Friday, August 25, 2023

Color Stix Finishes #20 and #21

 The two Color Stix finishes I am sharing today are made using some alternate layout designs.  All of the quilts I have made to date set the blocks in alternate directions.



I had an abundance of purple and blue blocks so I thought it would be fun to put them together in one quilt.  I stacked each color's blocks from light to dark.  Then I started laying out the blocks with the blue blocks going lightest on the right and the purple blocks going lightest on the left.

This might be one of my favorite finishes in this block drive.




I had to pull a dark blue backing from my stash.  I didn't have anything I liked in my donated fabric stock. Quilt number twenty measures 63 x 72".




As I receive blocks, I am always looking for inspiration in the blocks that arrive.  When I received 16 blocks that were all the same, I thought I would try to stagger the blocks to see how they would look.  I found a blue print in my stash that looked nice with the blocks and started sewing.  I added a 3.5" strip to the top/bottom of the blocks to create the stagger.  Then I used up the rest of the fabric to make some borders.




This quilt only measures 43 x 54", so I didn't want to use a big cut to create the backing.  I dug around in my stash and found this big floral.  It wasn't quite big enough so I had to add the blue inset.  It feels good to find homes for all these miscellaneous pieces of fabric I have.

When I started this drive, I hoped I would get twenty quilts completed - this is the 21st quilt!
And I know I still have more to share...You guys are amazing!

Hope you all have a nice weekend. 
I will be announcing the next Compassion Quilt block drive the middle of next week.
Hope I can get the current one cleaned up before the next blocks start to arrive!




10 comments:

Kate said...

Both these quilts are fabulous! The blue to purple gradations in the first quilt are really cool. Congrats on two great finishes.

Chantal said...

Well done, as always. I like the second one, or should I say number 21? You rock, girl!! ;^)

Astrid Reflux said...

Really beautiful, Cynthia! You've done yeoman's work (yeowoman?) to get these all together and quilted - congratulations!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, I really love quilt #20 as well, but blue is my favorite color and the purples go so well with it. And great layout for #21. It's such a treat to see how many ways you combine these blocks into quilts!

Kat said...

Oooo, love that purple quilt!

Holly in Arkansas said...

Cynthia I so look forward to your updates. My favorites on this block drive are the ones that look like a freezer full of sherbets. You have a box full of backing fabric from a recent clean out of my closet and a sale at a quilt shop at 2.50 a yard of all name brand, coming your way, a lot will be just right for the kids.

Nothing was ugly at that price. Thanks for taking on this big job. I also ordered from Fat Quarter shop when the backs or fatback’s as we call em, were really cheap. Now my husband inquired if we have to stop at EVERY quilt shop between here and FL this winter and all FL shops within driving distance during the winter. Today I said no, BUT I may change my mind come December through April!!!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Oh my goodness! That purple rocks. . .but, the staggered blocks stole my heart! How's Arthur?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

These look so great - I like the Variety you put in the last one - what fun to play with designs!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Simply amazing!!

Cindy B said...

I really like the layout on both of these quilts!!!! Just wonderful!

01 09 10