Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Compassion Quilt Happy Blocks Drive

 Hurray!  It is time to announce the next Compassion Quilt block.  

This drive will run from now until the end of November. Our focus on this drive will be quilts for kids.


We will be making Happy Blocks. 


Here are the material requirements for each block:

Novelty fabric (please no holiday fabric or specific sports team fabric)

            4.5" square                       Qty = 1        Center block

Solids, tone on tone or geometric fabric (Please no florals - trying to keep it gender neutral)

            2.5" x 4.5" Rectangle      Qty = 2        Outer frame

            2.5" x 8.5" Rectangle      Qty = 2        Outer frame

  




The colors we will be using this drive are what I call popsicle colors.
Bright and happy! Remember, these blocks are for kids.



To make the blocks, you just need to sew the 2.5" x 4.5" rectangles to the sides of the center block.
Use a 1/4” seam allowance.




Then to complete the block, the 2.5" x 8.5" rectangles get sewn on the top and bottom.
Your block should measure 8.5" square.



Here are a few blocks I made.  You can see that some of my center blocks are fussy-cut and some are just cut from a fun novelty fabric.  The outer frames can be all one color or multi-colored...just be sure they contain popsicle colors (remember, I have to put these together).

If you noticed, you can see I put the shorter strip on both the sides and the top/bottom.  It doesn't really matter.  In fact, if you mix it up, it is less I have to match when I put the tops together.


My hope is that I can create some "themed" quilts - farm animals, bugs, zoo animals, cars/trucks, dogs, etc.  Other tops will simply be an "I Spy" type quilt.  As always, when I announce each block drive, I cross my fingers that the blocks will come together.  Your adherence to the block criteria makes it a bit easier for me.

If you have any questions, just email me at cynthiabdesigns at gmail dot com.  Try not to put questions/requests in the comments unless you know for sure I can reply to them.



I appreciate all your help!  Things are always more fun when you do them with your friends!
(My dog is back to his cheeky self - here he is with his friend Beatice.)



One more way you can help (and maybe clean out a drawer in your sewingroom) - I go through a LOT of thread.  If you are already sending blocks and you have some room in the package, I can sure use some of that old thread you just can't seem to throw away.  My Bernina hasn't found a thread it can't sew with and I go through these spools like mad.  Any color works.

A big thanks to all.  I will be finishing up the last block drive as you elves start sewing Happy Blocks.  I still have quite a few more quilts to make and share.  Once I get them done and a final tally on all the blocks received, I will write up a summary post.

If you are curious, these quilts will be supporting multiple programs at Sacred Heart Hospital here in Oregon.  They are called Compassion Quilts and you can read more about the program here.


Again...Thanks for any help you can give.





14 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

I would luv to be a part of this,I'm currently making pillowcases for Ryans Case For Smiles & have fun prints left over thinking what would I ever use those for lol

Kate said...

These are fun little blocks. I have the bright colors but not a lot of kid friendly fabrics. But as I'm hoping to do some stash clean up, I'll see what I've got and make a few before November.

Julierose said...

Hi Cynthia ;))) I have a lot of older threads--I will be happy to send them onto you...hugs, Julierose

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohh I love Happy Blocks!! what a fun one this will be to see come together!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Count me in! This sounds like a wonderful program - so kind of you to
spearhead this! I've already pulled some fun fabrics - thank you!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, these are definitely Happy Blocks and it will be delightful to see all the novelty prints you get!

MissPat said...

I love making happy blocks and have lots of kid friendly fabric. I'll also send along some thread I'm not using.
Pat

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm headed into my stash to see what I can find in popsicle colors! These will be fun to make!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

I'm just catching up and have plans to attack my novelty fabrics. So far, I've cut some of the centers. These will be so colorful and fun when they're all kid's quilts. I will look through my thread but no promises. I've really gotten rid of old thread since my machine isn't so thrilled with it. Thanks again for all you do. XOXO

Joyce said...

Just finishing up some of these fun blocks. Have sent you an email requesting your address.

bcarlf said...

I would love to help with this. I have so many appropriate fabrics that will fit right in since I love kids fabrics. I am also older and slow and this will be an easy block for me to make. Thanks so much for inspiring me to use my fabric. I will email you for your address.

Bonnie said...

Good to see the next block is one of my favorite. And, starting with 4.5" is great to use up smaller fabrics. Hopefully I can add to your collection. I'll check the thread too.

Carol R said...

I’d love to make some of these fun blocks for you! Please email your address to me.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I've got a basket full of fun kid prints, Cynthia, and Happy Blocks are one of my favorites. Here's hoping I can fit making a batch for you into my crazy schedule this time around!

01 09 10