I hope all of my US friends are enjoying the holiday weekend! The weather has been quite cold here for Oregon so I have been more than happy to stay indoors and finish up a few projects.
Here is what I am sharing today!
I finally finished up sewing on the binding on my Double Crossed quilt. I made it a bit larger than the pattern called out (64" x 80") as I really wanted a nice size for napping.
I used Amy Smart's Double Crossed pattern as a guideline but as I was using up some leftover fabrics, I made some variations. I used two different fabrics in her white spaces and also made the inner diamonds two different colors.
When I laid out the blocks on my design wall, I only made about 5 block changes. I rarely worry about the same fabrics near or even touching. This is something I learned from some of my quilting friends who are masters at scrap quilts. I find this recklessness makes the quilts more interesting (Or it could be I'm just lazy.). I like to just ensure a balance of color placement throughout the quilt.
I also think this recklessness helps to hide your secrets. I was short a couple pieces of the grayish purple and just used pieces of the brighter purple. I simply hid them out on the border.
(Did you notice it on the first picture?)
For the quilting, I went with a simple swirl. As this quilt may be one of my TV quilts (my closest friends knows this means my big dinner napkin), I knew it would be washed alot so I wanted it to be durable.
On the back, I just added one large inset as the backing fabric I had wasn't quite big enough. I was even able to work in some pieces from the top I had cut incorrectly, which saved them from ending up in the scrap bin. Any time I can do that is another added bonus.
I had challenged myself to make this quilt entirely from fabrics I had in my stash and I am happy to say I accomplished it! And to like the finished quilt so much is certainly something to celebrate!
Thanks for stopping by!