Sunday, June 11, 2023

Oh Scrap! : Prepping Scraps

 I took some time this weekend to prep and organize all the scraps from the Churn Dash block drive and box them up for next year.


First thing that went in the box are all of the leftover blocks. There are both white based and cream based blocks and I don't have enough of either to make a full quilt.  These will be used to get me started next March.




I also used any large chunks (like trimmings from backs of quilts) to make some bindings for next year's quilts.  They will be nice to have on hand as things start ramping up.




This block drive really lends itself to scrappy bindings.  So any scrap that I could get a 2.5" string from it just gets added to this continuous binding.  I never seem to get down to that red center!




I also cut some large scraps into 5" squares.  I use those to make simple patchwork quilts like this one.
(Spoiler alert:  Once I did all the cutting, I realized I had enough for a quilt.  So I also sewed up a top this weekend.)



That left me with two more bags.  One holds all the leftover scraps and the other has the string blocks I made.  There are probably enough scraps to finish making blocks for an entire quilt but that is not going to happen this weekend.  But it would make a great sew-day project so maybe I will get it out later this year.

Lastly in the box went the leftover fabric.  There are a few pieces large enough for backings to get me started but that is about it.  I used just about everything that was sent to me.

I am also busy putting together all the stats on this block drive.  But that will be another post.
But I will tell you that the blocks received and the quilts made far exceeded my expectations...by a lot!

Thanks so much!


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter




9 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds like you are well organized to make a quick start next year. You definitely made the most of all the donations.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So glad this block drive went so well, and you have lots left for a head start on next year's! The top made of 5 inch squares is beautiful. I love the lighter blues in it! Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Cathy said...

Fantastic block drive, fabulous compassion quilts and organized scraps. Way to go, Cynthia!

Chantal said...

I didn't comment on every post you did about the Churn Dash Block Drive but I did read them all. The number of hours you put in for this drive to be a success is mind-blowing. You deserve an award or something. Bravo! 💗 ;^)

Ivani said...

Well done Cynthia! It's amazing that everything that's left is already organized for a new beginning next March. Congrats for the Block drive success!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Great job on the Churn Dash Block drive. Such pretty patriotic blocks as well.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Incredible!!! If you made even half as many finishes I would be impressed, but this is beyond!! I need to comment on your organization. You are putting us all to shame. Pulling together bindings for next year!!?? Who does that Cynthia??? You are truly one of a kind! I'm sure we will all benefit from your tips on how to stay on top of things. Please keep doing what you're doing and send us a little of your mojo when you can. I know that I can learn a lot from just seeing you wrap up a quilt drive...let alone sewing it all together.
XOXO Elana

Nann said...

I was impressed by the entire churn dash project and now I'm more impressed by the terrific way you're sorting and storing and getting ready for next year. Why don't you roll that continuous binding the other way so that the "red core" become the beginning of the roll? Then you'll use it!

Carol Andrews said...

Cynthia your Chun Dash Block Drive sounds as if it was very successful. How smart to organize your leftovers to be ready to start again next year. Love that simple patchwork quilt. Thank you for hosting Oh Scrap.

01 09 10