Sunday, March 31, 2024

Oh Scrap! - Leftover Triangles

I think some of you are getting to know me so well!

This week, I received quite a few big boxes full of blocks, fabric, scraps, bindings and thread.  It is always fun to open them and see what is inside.


One of the things I received were these bigger triangles.  I dropped everything to play with these! 
They are actually about 7".  It appears they may have been salvaged from a project because you could see stitching lines where someone had taken a seam ripper to them.  Of course I was instantly inspired by them!


I quickly got ut some red scraps and made these nine blocks.  I trimmed the blocks to 6.5". 
(I made a tenth one but I am not sure where it went.)

I cut the strips to about 7.5" and then created a square.  I trimmed that square down to 7" and then cut it diagonally.  I wasn't paying attention to the way I cut the diagonal, so my strips are going different directions.  Not sure I mind.

These will not make a big quilt.  I may dig out some of my gray fabric and add to the stack.  I was initially thinking primary colors. but I don't have a lot of yellow scraps.  I will make some bright blue ones and then see what I think.

I was so excited at the thought of using up some of my scraps.  But I quickly realized that this project was not going to make a bit of difference in the level of my scraps.  In fact, I think the red bin looks fuller because I "fluffed" them up when I dug through them looking for strings.

I will never see the bottom of my scrap bins! 😂


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter



 

10 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

These are great blocks, I like how you think! Sometimes I think I might get my scraps all sewn up if I could just sew faster. Yeah, delusional I know!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your red and white blocks! It's so fun when something just inspires you to start sewing. It will be fun to see what you do with these! Happy Easter, Cyndy!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I'm glad those triangles inspired you to dip into your scrap bin and play! Since red is my favorite color, these blocks touched my heart!

Mary Says Sew! said...

I'm doing a project now that uses the sew-&-flip method with 8-1/2" and 4-1/2" strips, so I'm generating lots of cut-off triangles of a neutral background.

I also have a bag of navy scraps and short strips I've been moving around my sewing room, waiting for their purpose. And you just provided the way to pair these two sets of fabrics! Thanks!

Kate said...

What a fun project to play with. I have a large bag of triangle scraps. At some point I'm doing to do something with all of those. But I'm beginning to thing the scrap bins will never be empty!

Nann said...

I like the scrappy triangles!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Like opening a box of candy!! I can't wait to see what you create from all that goodness!

Rebecca Grace said...

Cynthia, you are just the rock star of repurposing scraps. I love how your scrappy pieced red triangles look with the white background HST. And I have SO many scraps in my bins... I am filing this idea away.

Turid said...

Great blocks. should we ever see the bottom of our scrap box? I think NO.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What fun, Cynthia!! Incoming scraps have a way of doing that, don't they? Spurring us right into action! Fluffing those red scraps was inevitable. It's OK though because you USED some, too!

01 09 10