Sunday, April 2, 2023

Oh Scrap! : A Bit of Spring Cleaning

 I finished out March dealing with a few piles stacked around my sewing room.  

I definitely felt a sense of accomplishment.




First, I finished sewing together the last of the green switchplate pieces I had sitting next to my sewing machine.  It looks like now I need to get out my purple scraps and start cutting. The cycle never ends!



I also made one sad 16 patch block for one of my donation quilt projects.  I sew up these whenever I come across a 2.5" strip that is long enough to complete a block.




My greatest accomplishment this week is completing all the blocks and sewing up the brown/green 16-patch quilt top.  I just need to sew up the backing and it can go onto the "to be quilted" pile.  This quilt was inspired by the need to clean up a bunch of brown scraps after the rail fence block drive.  I had a whole bunch of long strips from excess binding or backing trimmings. 

I will share the finished piece once I get it all quilted up.



*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter





Did you see that the April Basic of the Month at the Fat Quarter Shop are Art Gallery Pure Solids?  Maybe it is time to stock up!



10 comments:

Preeti said...

The cycle is indeed never-ending. But isn't that a good thing? Nearing the end of the month, I am bursting with anticipation - what color is coming next? What scrap bin do dive into :-) I am easily amused, that way :-D Kudos on finishing the brown top. I am loving the reddish purple hues in that 16-patch block. Plum goodness!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There are definitely always more scraps to sew up! I love your little switchplate blocks - it's going to be fun to see the quilt you sew up out of them! Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Chantal said...

That's quite a collection of switchplate! You did very well with the brown leftovers too. I'm sure your sad 16-patch block will have company soon and won't be sad anymore. True, the cycle never ends but what's the alternative? Boredom! No thanks! Have fun digging in the purple scraps! ;^)

Gretchen Weaver said...

I really like the simplicity of 16 piece blocks, they make such a nice quilt. Happy stitching!

Marti said...

You've been really busy. I chuckle every time I see the name switchplate quilt. I need to switch it up (pun intended) and make some blocks instead of my usual scrappy 9 patches.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lots of lovely sewing this week! Congrats on the brown top, I'm a big fan of brown in quilts and yours is so nice. The switchplate blocks are cute, too. Isn't it amazing how many you need for a quilt?

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a BIG accomplishment! It feels great when you "get" to use up a leftover scrap that actually ends up in a top! Wahoo!

LA Paylor said...

yes... the to be quilted pile...

Mystic Quilter said...

How far along is your switchplate quilt? I think it's such a good block pattern. Sixteen patch is always a winner and I like your idea of using any correct width strips that come along and stitch up at the time.

Carol Andrews said...

I still like your switch plate blocks Cynthia and your patchwork quilts are pretty. Thank you for hosting

01 09 10