Sunday, June 2, 2024

Oh Scrap! : Binding Day

All of the time I would have spent playing with scraps this week was used to prepare bindings for donation quilts.


About once a month, I spend a ton of time making scrappy bindings out of leftover bindings from previous quilts.  I try and match up colors or themes so they have a better chance of being used in the future.  I also go through small leftover bits to see if there are any that I can cut into 2.5" strips to make bindings from.  It feels like this chore takes forever!

This week I ended up with about 30 bindings that I added to my existing stock of prepared bindings.  Hopefully I won't have to do this process again until about July.

I don't like binding day....



A friend of mine gifted Many Hands and Many Hearts this lovely table/desk.  I am using it to stack the finished quilts on.  Veteran quilts are on the left, kids quilts are sorted by size on the bottom and the adult quilts are on the top.  I love that I can see at a glance where we are and what I need to focus on to make the next delivery.  The next big delivery is the week of June 10th. Looks like for the next week, I will be focusing on adult quilts!





Dig through your fall colored scraps and make some Two Step Blocks.


*********************************************

It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up: 

  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do! 

Quilting is more fun than Housework

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

 Follow Me on Bloglovin'                 Follow Me on Feedly




12 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Making all those bindings at once is such a great idea - now you've got a little library of bindings! I definitely plan to make some Two Step blocks for your drive - just have to dig out those fall colors. Have a great Sunday, Cyndy!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow, that's a lot of binding! Thanks for showing us your set up, I was wondering how you keep it all organized. It's like a factory, making comfort for others. Thank you for all your hard work!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Celebrating that you completed a successful binding day! Making binding isn't one of my favorite chores either. I get why you like to have binding made up ahead. I generally cut mine when I finish the top. Then when it is time to apply it, it is ready! That is one impressive stack of donation quilts!!!

Kate said...

Making all those bindings sounds like a lot of work, but it pays off once you start getting those quilts finished.

Vicki in MN said...

What a nice stack of donation quilts, I am sure the organizations really appreciate them.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Taking the time to prepare all that binding is smart! And what a great gift to have the table so you can see all the quilts at a glance.

Kat said...

I have an accuquilt cutter that I use almost exclusively to cut two and a half inch strips for binding out of backing scraps. I have to do it about once every 2 years

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

What a great idea to have scrappy bindings all ready to go for when you need them. Very organised and ultimately a great time saver for you.

Nann said...

Great idea to prep bindings ahead of time, Cynthia.
I'll definitely make two-step blocks!

Mystic Quilter said...

Inspired idea for using left over bindings, well worth the time spending one day sewing all these ready to go.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

You may not like binding day, but it is sooo helpful to have them ready to go. You're so organized that it makes me feel like a huge mess!! How lucky I am to know you!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Shew!! I do that too with all our leftover bindings - it seems like its an all day chore. Hopefully your set for a while!!

01 09 10